Baby Girl's Surgery Status
I'm not even sure if I shared on this blog but for now there will be no surgery to correct BG's craniosynostosis. The final expert surgeon's opinion was that it was not necessary now, and probably not ever. We never got a definite "yes you have to do this" so we are taking a wait and see approach. We need to see her language develop and her head continue to grow. So far, so good. And a relief.
Job Situation
Well, I am back to working full time. I went on two job interviews across the country in Virginia (DC and Richmond) and got offers from both. I had a request to go interview two other places. I had a local interview and got that offer. And ultimately.... I went back to my old job! They asked me back and it really made the most sense. We don't have to move, we don't have to (short) sell our house, etc. And I just wasn't excited about the other local offer and didn't want to move out of my current specialty area. My old company offered me an hourly rate equal to my old salary but without benefits. I asked for more money to help offset the benefits and they went for it. They will potentially convert me back to salary and benefits if they make a partnering deal. It is extremely risky in terms of stability, but luckily the companies I turned down told me to let them know if anything changes. I have found that a consultant I used is an EXTREMELY good connection. Everyone knows him and respects him and he says good things about me. I intend to keep him as my BFF forever.
It was hard to transition back to work. I thought I would have a terrible first week away from BG. The first day was very hard but I found that I really liked being back to work. My work is fulfilling to me and I really have to work. After the first day it has gotten easier but I still do really miss my time with her. I really wish I could work part time but that doesn't exist in my industry. But she loves having grandma come over and she is always happy to see me after work.
So as you can see, things are looking up for us after a tough start to the year. I think I've already reached my yearly allotment of tears between the layoff, my grandma, and the biggest one - BG's birth defect diagnosis. But in reality, I have SO much to be thankful for. Every day I see an awesome kid running (yes, actually running) around my house, babbling away, learning, growing, and generally being awesome. I just celebrated 8 years of marriage yesterday with my wonderful husband. I have a fulfilling career that provides for us. Through my layoff I learned that my work experience is in demand and that makes me feel a lot better about my still unstable job.
I hope there are still a few people reading and I am sorry I have been away so long. I was travelling so much, stressing so much, planning a potential move, etc etc. Luckily we are trying to settle in again. In honor of BG's birthday - IN JUST 8 DAYS - we are going to visit family and friends in Minnesota for two whole weeks. We'll have her party at hubby's parents' farm. We're so excited to go and relax for a while!
So I'll be back soon and I hope you are all doing well. Take care of yourselves and have a great summer!
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great to hear from you!! So glad everything is falling into place!! Can you believe these babes are almost 1!?!?! Have a fabulous time in MN!!
ReplyDeleteKari
www.karisbabysteps.blogspot.com
yay! so glad you got your job back! and happy 8 yr anniversary! so much to celebebrate. i'm so happy you dont have to go through the stress of the surgery. happy birthday to BG in 8 days (!!!!!) and next time bless us with some pictures of her! ;)
ReplyDeleteSo great to hear from you! I was just thinking of you the other day, and thinking that BG must be getting close to a birthday! We'll be headed up your way in late-ish July, so I'll try to get in touch with you. Take care!
ReplyDeleteAlmost a year? I can't believe it! Yeah to all the good news for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new job and your anniversary! Happy early birthday to sweet BG too!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that things are improving!
ReplyDelete