Have you heard about how your hair falls out after pregnancy? Goodness gracious, my hair is coming out in handfuls! Apparently, your hair kind of rests while you are pregnant so you lose very little compared to normal. Not as many hairs reach the end of their growing cycle. Then once your hormones begin to return to normal, all that hair you should have lost already falls out.
But it's out of control! Mostly I lose it in the shower (my hair, not my mind). Which is really gross. When I lose hair in the shower it gets all stuck on my hands. I don't want it to clog up the drain so I stick it to the wall and (try to remember to) clean it up after my shower. Gross, I know. Am I the only one who does this?!
While that is the bulk of my hair loss I am also finding it EVERYWHERE. Where else is it, you ask? It is on the kitchen counter. It is on my lab bench and my computer keyboard at work. It's all over my clothes. Don't even look at the bathroom floor after I blowdry. It's all tangled up in my poor baby's hands. You may even find it emerging from the business end of my dogs after they do their duties! They must eat it I guess, hopefully unintentionally. Hey, you asked!
My husband hates finding hair around usually so he is extra disgusted right now. What can I do? Nothing, obviously. I just have to wait until it's done. Which led me to use some super rigorous mathy stuff. I calculated (by mostly making it up) that it should take 66.5 days for all the extra to be gone. What's that, you want me to show my work? Well, I don't know I mean I guess I could but umm... OK! The following is very scientifical:
I think I read somewhere that you typically lose about 100 hairs per day*. Let's assume I lost zero per day during pregnancy (to be conservative). Let's not count those two weeks before ovulation so (38 weeks) x (7 days/week) x (100 hairs/day) = 26,600 hairs I need to shed!
I also read that during this shedding phase you can lose about 500 hairs per day*! So that's my normal 100 + 400 extra. So 26,600 divided by 400 = 65.5 days.
I estimate this has been going on almost a month so hopefully just about one more month. Yuck!
Don't worry about baldness. I have always had a very dense covering of hair. Too bad it's very fine hair that refuses to curl and generally just laughs at me when I try to do anything with it. Sigh. But my widow's peak is looking pretty sparse. I'm sure I'm the only one who notices but it's not cute. Now I fully expect that I will have little baby hairs sticking out of it once it all starts growing back. I'll keep you posted because I know you need to know.
*I have no real reference for you here. These are figures I think I may have read somewhere maybe, once upon a time.
Friday, November 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, my hair is falling out everywhere. Yes, it's gross. Yes, I collect it during my shower and sometimes forget to clean it up and that is always the day that guests come over and see it.
ReplyDeleteIt has gotten better. In the last month I am either losing a little less or I don't notice it as much. I wear a ponytail every day because of the hair falling out at work. Gross!
i always shed in the fall (opposite from what one would guess) but this fall it is definitely worse!! i brush my hair before i take a shower and that way it isnt falling out in the shower at all but i do have a large clump in my hairbrush each night!!
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking of writing the exact same post! You're not alone!
ReplyDeleteDude--I don't care if there is a reason, it still is freaky. Hair falling out in clumps is one of my biggest fears. I can't imagine that feeling. At least teeth don't fall out; that's another one of my fears!
ReplyDeleteHang in there. Maybe you can buy a roomba (spelled that incorrectly).
I feel ya, all the hair coming out is shocking. I remember when it started and whole handfulls came out and I thought I would surely be bald.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you figured out a mathematical equation for it, that is hilarious!
Didn't happen after in my case. I was the freak that had it happen DURING. Not only did I have hair growing in all sorts of freaky places where I never imagined hair could grow, it fell out of those places and my head. What a mess. The derma told me to expect to lose more after too but nope I've maintained the little I had left after the great pregnancy shedding, minus the freaky places hair thankfully. Good luck and I hope the falling out ends quickly for ya!!
ReplyDeleteHey, I got the Cinderella wall hanging at the Hallmark store.
ReplyDeleteThe shedding sounds pretty crazy!
This post made me laugh. I've been waiting for my own hair to start the mass exodus.
ReplyDelete