We are house shopping! Looking at houses, whether I am planning to buy or not, is something I love to do. Hubby too. And we have recently decided that we should take the plunge and actually buy our own. We owned a home early in our marriage, while I was in graduate school. Four years into grad school my research advisor decided to move from our school in Iowa to one in Arizona. I could either move with and finish in two years or less, as planned, or stay in Iowa and essentially start over. We moved with. We have been renting ever since. We rented an apartment for a year while I finished school, rented a house while I did a one-year postdoctoral fellowship, rented an apartment when we moved to take my current job (as a temp position), and are now renting a house since the job became "permanent" (i.e., not through the temp agency).
While the places we have rented have been nice, I am sick of living with boring white walls, sick of having some of our stuff still packed up with no room for it, and sick of bowing to the whims of our landlords. Our current lease has some ridiculous clauses. In short, I am sick of renting! So we thought we could take advantage of the tax credit and the current low prices. I'm so excited!
As we shop for a house there are, of course, the nagging feelings that pop up around the exciting events in every IF woman's life. Do we really need four bedrooms? Will I even be able to have any babies, let alone two? Will school districts matter to us any time in the next decade? Should we just buy some condo and pretend to be chic, childless people who could care less about playgrounds and open enrollment? No, we will focus on the fact that this is a Big Event, regardless of whether children will join us in our new home, and be excited! Not to mention this will really take my mind off of all of the fertility failures I have experienced this year. So much to do!
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment